A recent Tripadvisor survey of more than 2,000 consumers has revealed that half of its U.S. respondents (50%) are planning a trip this spring, with millennials being more optimistic and eager to return to travel than any other generation.
Key finding include:
- 58% of millennial respondents are planning a trip this spring (compared to 50% of all age groups).
- 71% of millennials feel comfortable dining out this spring (compared to 62% of all age groups).
- 54% of millennial respondents believe daily life will return to normal within three months (compared to 38% of all age groups).
- 56% of millennials believe they will be better off financially in the next 12 months than they are today (compared to 41% of all age groups).
In addition, Tripadvisor gathered traffic data during the week of February 15, 2021, looking at searches made by U.S. travelers from January 1, 2021, through February 14, 2021, for travel this spring. Using this information, it predicted the fastest-growing and slowest-growing destinations among American travelers.
The 10 most popular destinations are:
- Isla Verde, Puerto Rico
- St. Thomas
- Playa Maroma, Mexico
- Tulum, Mexico
- Key West, Florida
- Key Largo, Florida
- Miami Beach, Florida
- Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Cruz Bay, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Fort Meyers Beach, Fla
The 10 slowest-growing destinations are:
- New York City
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
- New Orleans
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- Las Vegas
- Nassau, Bahamas
Finally, Tripadvisor reports that many Americans appear to be opting for outdoor, socially-distanced trips, with some 21% saying that COVID-19 has dampened their desire to visit a city this spring.