Six antiaging facial protocols for helping clients put their best faces forward.
Fillers and injectables may be more common than ever, but that doesn’t mean spa-goers need to swap their regular facials for more invasive procedures in the hopes of maintaining a youthful complexion. “Skin care can be just as effective, as long as clients remain consistent with treatments and an at-home routine,” explains Arzu Ors, esthetician at Manolo Salons in Dallas and University Park, Texas. Joyce Imahiyerobo-Ip, MD, owner of Skinbar MD in Dedham, Massachusetts, adds that preventive measures are especially important. “Educating clients about ‘prejuvenation’ in their 20s, 30s and 40s can ensure that they don’t have to do as much when they’re older,” she says. To demonstrate the power of antiaging facials, we spoke with six spa pros across the U.S. about their most popular treatments. Here, they share their personalized protocols for combatting signs of aging and rejuvenating clients’ skin.
Age Erasers: This indulgent facial essentially “feeds” the skin, utilizing ingredients like acai, kale, spinach and broccoli sprouts to tone, hydrate and boost elasticity. “Many of the products in this treatment contain the brand’s Natural Retinol Alternative Complex, which can help delay the appearance of aging,” enthuses esthetician Rebecca Gorman. “Clients enjoy the uplifting aromas, and love that their skin looks and feels amazing afterward!”
- Double cleanse using Stone Crop Cleansing Oil, followed by Monoi Age Corrective Exfoliating Cleanser.
- Exfoliate with Blueberry Detox Firming Peel, containing lactic acid and antioxidant-rich blueberry, raspberry, blackberry and pineapple.
- Perform extractions, then apply Firm Skin Acai Booster-Serum, enriched with acai berry, hyaluronic acid (HA), wild jujube and maral root.
- Mix Citrus and Kale Potent C+E Masque with Bamboo Age Corrective Masque, then apply it to the face; perform a scalp, hand and arm massage while it sets.
- Remove mask, then massage the face, neck and shoulders.
- Apply Neroli Age Corrective Eye Serum, Marine Flower Peptide Eye Cream, Citrus Lip Balm, and a moisturizer and SPF based on skin type.
Age Erasers: “Thanks to the vitamin C and seaweed patches, this service brightens, evens out discoloration and reduces the appearance of sun damage,” explains Katie Creek, the spa’s retail supervisor and trainer. She notes that it especially benefits guests who are constantly battling UV rays, whether they’re driving, running errands or simply enjoying the Florida sunshine. “Although clients should get this facial every three weeks for maximum results, they leave with brighter skin after a single treatment,” she says.
- Double cleanse and apply Derm Renewal Peel, formulated with lactic and glycolic acids, and antioxidant arginine.
- Use a wipe to apply Deep Cleansing Solution in circular motions, then remove with warm water.
- Perform extractions, then apply Active Vitamin C Concentrate.
- Apply Seaweed Patches and activate with Sea C Spa Lotion. Massage until the patches have dissipated and been absorbed, hydrating and plumping the skin.
- Apply Sea C Spa Thermal Organic Mud Mask. Massage the hands, feet, décolletage and shoulders.
- Remove mask, then apply Bota-Peptide Eye Contour and a serum, moisturizer and SPF based on the client’s skin type.
Age Erasers: In addition to providing guests with an indulgent back treatment to amplify results and relaxation, this facial enlists the help of the brand’s extra marine filler (XMF), a high-tech marine sugar that helps plump, brighten and firm the complexion. “XMF creates an invisible natural film that instantly smooths the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines,” explains spa director Nicole Anderson. “It also stimulates collagen and elastin synthesis and adds tension, leaving skin feeling taut—almost like a mini facelift.”
- Cleanse and exfoliate the back, then apply detoxifying Self-Heating Marine Mud.
- Cleanse the face using Perfect Visage Gentle Cleansing Milk.
- Exfoliate with Resurfacing Multi-Exfoliant, containing seaweed-derived alpha hydroxy acids and oligomer powder.
- Gently exfoliate with Enzymatic Exfoliant to stimulate microcirculation and protein synthesis. Perform a scalp massage.
- Perform extractions, then massage the face, neck, décolleté and shoulders.
- Apply Youth Mask for Lips, then apply 2nd Youth Wax Mask to the face over a cheesecloth. Massage the hands and arms.
- Remove mask and apply Pionnière XMF Perfection Youth Cream, Pionnière XMF Reset Eye Fluid and Final VMR Skin Refiner to smooth and soften the skin.
- Remove self-heating mud from the client’s back, then apply Well Body Cream.
Age Erasers: Collagen-stimulating peptides, HA and vitamin C all feature heavily in this customizable facial. “We pride ourselves on being able to tackle multiple skin issues while simultaneously minimizing signs of aging,” enthuses Dr. Imahiyerobo-Ip. Some of the studio’s most popular add-ons include red light therapy for encouraging collagen production, blue light therapy for treating acne, and microcurrent for toning the skin.
- Wash the skin with an appropriate cleanser, then apply Polish and Plump 2-Step Peel: Peel 1 is a microdermabrasion vitamin C peel, and Peel 2 is a chemical exfoliant containing lactic and malic acids.
- Perform extractions. Apply Power Serum, rich in peptides, to the face and neck.
- Apply a mask suited to the client’s needs, such as Balancing Mask for clogged pores, or Radiance Mask to treat hyperpigmentation.
- Apply a moisturizer, eye cream and SPF based on skin type.
Rejuvenating Facial (105 min./$197)
Skin Care 2000 in Laguna Beach, California
Featured brand: Yon-Ka Paris
Age Erasers: According to owner Tricia Cherry, this “miracle treatment” tackles everything from crepey neck skin to lower cheek laxity and hyperpigmentation. “It restores structure and hydration, nourishes cells and diminishes the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines,” she says. Technology also plays a major role: Red LED boosts collagen production, while microcurrent repairs and stimulates collagen at the dermal layer.
- Cleanse with Lait Nettoyant Gentle Cleansing Milk, then exfoliate using Alpha Exfoliateur, an alpha-beta peel.
- Scrub the décolleté using Guarana Scrub, containing guarana seeds, caffeine, organic brown rice and bamboo.
- Perform LED red light therapy.
- Perform an exfoliating dermaplane, followed by extractions.
- Perform microcurrent for 20 minutes.
- Massage the skin using Excellence Code Global Youth Cream, enriched with avocado, grape seed, HA, thistle and red algae.
- Apply Masque Cell Energy, formulated with lipoamino acids to promote cell communication and increase oxygenation, defense, energy and longevity. (Do not wash off.)
- Apply Elixir Vital to the hands, arms and chest, then massage Lait Hydratant Repairing Body Milk onto the shoulders and back.
Age Erasers: HA and vitamins C and E serve as the standout stars of this luxe facial. “HA pulls more than 1,000 times its weight in water from the deeper layers of the skin to the surface for instant moisture, volume and hydration, while adenosine triphosphate (ATP) essentially recharges the cells, resulting in fast turnover,” explains Ors. The result? Brighter, firmer, more youthful-looking skin.
- Cleanse, then exfoliate the face, neck and décolleté with Dermabrasion Exfoliating Cream, containing microbeads and fatty acids.
- Apply Age Summum Face Serum, containing HA and vitamin C.
- Rub Age Summum Facial Massage into the face, neck, décolletage and arms.
- Apply Age Summum Face Mask, and massage the hands and arms.
- Remove mask, then apply Time Logic Age Serum, containing ATP and vitamins C and E. Finish with a moisturizer, eye cream and SPF based on skin type.
This story first appeared in the September issue of DAYSPA Magazine. To receive the magazine, click here to subscribe.