Andrew Carruthers, education director for Sam Villa, sat down with educator, artist and entrepreneur Yureesh Hooker in a recent video, where they discuss how to stay well in today's "new normal." They posit that the only way to thrive is to acknowledge and accept what's taking place, and then find creative ways of moving forward.
A Mindset to Thrive
- Before you reach out, reach within. Meditate every morning and set intention for the day before looking at electronic devices.
- Don’t drown in the news; limit the negative exposure.
- Exercise every day; when you change your body, you change your mind.
- Learn how to recognize negativity and implement positive reframing techniques.
- Don’t catastrophize. There's something good in every situation; it may be hard to see, but it’s there.
- Focus on what you can do; don’t dwell on what you can’t do.
- Rise and grind can set you up for stress, so don’t trade a paycheck for peace.
- Don’t get lost in the what and forget the why of what you’re doing.
- Things don’t happen to you; they happen for you–some of hardest times in life can also be the most transformative.
- Use the 24-hour rule: Give yourself 24 hours to feel sad or angry. Honor those emotions, then do the work and practices to move forward.
- Understand that you are not alone. Others feel the same way and conquer it—so can you!
Watch the full video below.