These nine results-oriented facials will leave clients glowing (and loyal)!
Whether your guests seek antiaging miracles, congestion-free pores or intensive hydration, there’s a facial out there designed to meet their specific needs. To showcase winning, brand-based protocols that demonstrate a wide variety of facial applications, DAYSPA checked in with nine spas across the country whose pros are putting clients’ best faces forward. —By Tracy Morin
featuring products by TecNiche
Spa: Skin Concepts Spa, Tempe, AZ
• Cleanse face and neck with Plantae Foaming Wash; remove with lukewarm water.
• Remove excess oil from face and neck with plain witch hazel.
• Wearing gloves, apply Incredible Enzymes to face and neck. Gently massage into skin for 3-5 minutes. Using lukewarm water and a sponge, remove all residue.
• Wipe with plain witch hazel to remove remove excess oil.
• Apply Embryol Moisture or petroleum jelly around eye area, nostrils and lips to prevent the peel from traveling into sensitive areas.
• Wearing gloves and using a soft fan brush, apply Mass-A-Peel onto face, feathering down under jaw line in a thick layer (avoid under eyes and corners of the nose). Massage into skin for 3 minutes. Instruct client to leave the peel on her face for the next 5-6 hours at home.
Why Clients Love It: “It offers a fantastic medium-depth peel—it’s easy to apply and causes no heat or discomfort to the customer. And a great flaking effect takes place on days three and four,” says Maria Elena Hewitt, owner of Skin Concepts Spa. “Clients see and feel the difference.”
featuring products by Guinot
Spa: Fountains Day Spa, Alexandria, VA
• Remove makeup using Hydra Dérmaquillant Yeux; cleanse with the Milk best suited to client’s skin type.
• Exfoliate décolleté and face with Gommage Biologique; rinse, apply lotion and dry off with tissue.
• Use Huile d’Essences Sérénité to perform the initial steps of a facial and upper-body massage. Continue, using client’s choice of Huile d’Essences, for about 30 minutes.
• Combine Masque Aromatic with lukewarm water, and apply to client’s face and throat. Leave on for 10 minutes, then gently remove.
• Apply skincare products best suited to the client’s beauty goals.
Why Clients Love It: “This simple procedure combines the ultimate serenity of massage with the benefits of natural plant extracts, is customized to personal needs and finishes with a nourishing mask,” raves Suzanne Olsen, Fountains Day Spa’s owner and master esthetician. “It leaves clients feeling completely relaxed with glowing, hydrated skin.”
featuring products by DermAware
Spa: Earthsavers Relaxation Spa + Store, New Orleans
• Apply cotton pads over eyes and use dermascope to analyze client’s skin.
• Cleanse face with Deep and Clear Cleanser.
• Apply Oil Balance Toner and massage client’s face, shoulders and neck, performing lymph drainage.
• Apply Bare Fruit Enzyme Mask Part 1; top with Bare Fruit Activator Part 2. Massage gently for 5 minutes, and keep mixture on skin another 5 minutes while performing hand/arm massage with Vitamin Hand Lotion.
• Apply Gel Starter Peel (one layer for sensitive clients, two for all others).
• Pour appropriate level (I, II or III) Genesis Peel into dram cup and apply over entire face (contact time varies with level). Remove with wet cotton pads.
• Place Delicate Balance Toner-saturated Face Lift Gauze flat over client’s face. Combine Face Lift Mask Part I Powder and Face Lift Mask Part II Activator Gel quickly, and apply on top of wet Face Lift Gauze, using downward strokes (start at the center of the face). Leave on to set.
• Perform a scalp massage.
• Remove mask, wiping away remaining product with Delicate Balance Toner-infused gauze. If needed, cleanse with Pure and Gentle Cleanser.
• Apply Sea Serum Professional, VITal B Hydrogel, Pure C Glow Microgel and Aerobic Lift Mask Professional; massage mixture into skin.
• Apply End of Line Eye Care, and Deep Sea Serum to lips.
Why Clients Love It: “The results are immediate and dramatic; clients always comment that their skin has never looked so good!” enthuses Karen Adjmi, co-owner of Earthsavers Relaxation Spa + Store. “Thanks to the healing properties of seaweed peptides, this facial offers a balance between the healing and peeling.”
featuring products by Phytomer USA/Vie USA
Spa: Krystyna’s European Spa, Beverly Hills, MI
• Remove makeup; cleanse and tone using Cleansing Cream and Multi-Action Toning Lotion. Follow with a customized exfoliation—including a mechanical process using Micro-D Powder—followed by an acid peel.
• Smooth wrinkles with Wrinkle Eraser tool. Apply Wrinkles Relaxing Serum with pinching and pressing movements; follow with manual massage.
• Massage the lower section of the face with the Face Shaper tool to stimulate microcirculation via pinching and kneading action. Apply Wrinkle Filling Serum using pressing/smoothing movements on the smile lines and around the lips.
• Use the Face Shaper on the cheeks, jaw line and neck to restructure tissue and redefine facial contours; follow with manual smoothing massage.
• Apply Cryogenic Mask to the face, neck and décolleté.
• Apply Eye Correction Cream and Firming Boosting Cream.
Why Clients Love It: “This treatment has quickly become a favorite with our guests, because they can see immediate results,” says Krystyna Ejsmont, esthetician and owner of Krystyna’s European Spa. “Skin is not only smoother and more radiant, but firmer and younger-looking.”
featuring products by Jurlique
Spa: Spa Intercontinental (part of the Intercontinental Hotel & Resort group),
• Spray Lavender Hydrating Mist into the air, allowing it to fall gently upon the face. Applying gentle steam, cleanse face, neck and décolleté with Replenishing Foaming Cleanser. Remove with a warm, moist towel presoaked in Chamomile-Rose Essence.
• Apply Resurfacing Enzyme Peel and leave on (under gentle steam) for 7 minutes. Remove with a warm towel and perform extractions as needed; follow with Calendula Lotion to soothe.
• Warm Skin Balancing Oil in hand, then massage into face, neck and décolleté. Apply Moisture Repair Boosting Serum to face, neck and décolleté, and under-eye area and brow bone. Cover eyes with cool, moist pads.
• Mist hands and arms with Lavender Hydrating Mist; massage in Purely Age-Defying Hand Treatment.
• Remove facial mask; apply Lavender Hydrating Mist.
• Apply Firm & Sculpt Boosting Serum to face, neck and décolleté, under-eye area and
brow bone. Apply Purely Age Defying Eye Cream and Sun Lotion SPF 30.
• Perform a gentle scalp massage or light shoulder effleurage. Finish with another spray of Lavender Hydrating Mist.
Why Clients Love It: “It’s the perfect natural treatment for those seeking instant results,” says Jeanne Valles, esthetician at Spa Intercontinental. “This facial combines luxury aromatherapy and advanced firming and lifting benefits, care of natural peptides and retinol.”
featuring products by Sothys
Spa: L’Institut Sothys, New York City
• Optional: Before preparing the mask, position Instant Heaters on the trapezius area or down the spine (do not allow the heaters to directly touch uncovered skin).
• Place one Hydra-Revealer Coin Mask in a small dish with Ultra Hydration Nectar; saturate mask before treatment. Also, prepare the Ultra Hydration Mask by mixing with Ultra Hydration Nectar.
• Apply Bi-phased Eye Make-up Remover and the appropriate cleanser and lotion for client’s skin type.
• Apply Hydra-Exfoliating Scrub; leave on for 5 minutes while massaging the shoulders/back of neck. Remove by placing a towel behind the back of the neck and performing circular movements, from the base of the neck to the forehead. Wipe and tone skin.
• Apply soaked Ultra Hydration Nectar + Hydra-Revealer Coin Mask onto face. Perform pressure-point massage over the compress. Remove compress, place on the neck and smooth with pressure, using the thumbs on the face. Remove and massage in remaining product with a succession of deep smoothing movements over face and neck.
• Apply Hydra-Generating Modeling to the face, neck, décolleté and shoulders, and perform a relaxing massage for 10-15 minutes.
• Apply Ultra Hydration Mask to face and neck; let sit for 15 minutes. Remove excess product with a spatula; rinse with a warm towel and tone skin.
• Rebalance skin with Hydradvance Light Cream, Hydradvance Comfort Cream or Nutritive Comfort Cream.
Why Clients Love It: “It employs the latest technological advances in gene science,” notes Trena Ross, spa director at L’Institut Sothys, adding, “This treatment offers a dual approach to hydration that’s ideal for all skin types and all ages.”
featuring products by SAIAN
Spa: JoElla Milan Enterprises, Aliso Viejo, CA
• Cleanse the face, neck and décolleté with Perle Milky Cleanser; remove.
• Apply Enzyme Mask with a coarse fan brush. Leave on for 7-10 minutes under steam. Remove and pat the face dry.
• Apply one pump of Saphir Active Renewal Serum, focusing on the wrinkles around the eyes, mouth and forehead.
• Slide the 4 Step Beauty Machine over skin, starting from the neck and working upward, using the Nutrition setting. Go over jaw area, moving upward from jaw to ear.
• Iron out forehead wrinkles from center outward.
• Apply Diamant Active Renewal Crème, focusing on the wrinkles around the eyes, mouth and forehead.
• Using the 4 Step Beauty Machine on the Lifting setting, perform the same motions. Do three cycles with the machine.
• Optional: Apply Amino-Lift Leave-On Mask; do not rinse off.
• Roll frozen Cryo-Globes over the face.
• Mist with Sunscreen Mist SPF 29.
Why Clients Love It: “It leaves their skin very smooth, calm and uplifted,” says JoElla Milan, CEO of JoElla Milan Enterprises. “It’s antiaging, yet also works for skin that needs extra TLC!”
featuring products by Pevonia
Spa: La Bella Spa, Merritt Island, FL
• Prepare Lumafirm Freeze-Dried Solution by mixing with cool water; set aside.
• Remove makeup; cleanse with Hydrating Cleanser.
• Wipe eyelids with Anti-Stress Eye Lotion, and apply Hydrating Lotion to face.
• With eye mask brush, apply Freeze-Dried solution around the eyes, covering entire contour area (including crow’s feet); massage in until product is completely absorbed.
• Apply Lumafirm Eye Contour.
• Position eye pads saturated with Anti-Stress Eye Lotion; leave for 10 minutes, then wipe and blot eye area dry.
• Apply a bit of Lumafirm Eye Contour around eyes and Lumafirm Repair Cream all over face and neck.
Why Clients Love It: “It’s ideal for Floridians, who often experience dark under-eye circles as a result of sun damage,” says La Bella Spa director Joe Mandato. “This is a ‘one size fits all’ treatment that offers amazingly visible brightening and lightening.”
featuring products by HydroPeptide
Spa: Spa at Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore, Santa Barbara, CA
• Remove makeup with Cleansing Gel; massage Cleanse into the face for 1 minute, focusing on congested areas; remove.
• Use Tone to remove excess oils and prep the skin. Apply an eye compress and examine skin.
• While steaming face and décolleté, massage Vitamin C Peel 1 into skin for 1-2 minutes; do not remove. Apply Vitamin C Peel 2 on top, massaging in for 2-3 minutes. Turn off steam and remove product using a
• Apply eye compress; perform extractions if needed.
• Use Serum mixed with Massage Oil to perform a facial pressure-point massage.
• Apply a thin layer of Mask to entire face; let sit 7-10 minutes while performing a hand massage with Moisturize mixed with Massage Oil. Wrap a steamed towel around the face and let sit for 3 minutes.
• Apply Serum, then either Face or Power Lift.
• Apply Eye Repair and SPF 30.
Why Clients Love It: It helps boost retail sales! “For each client coming out of this facial, we recommend three products from HydroPeptide’s retail line,” explains Jaana Roth, spa director at the Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore. “After we explain their benefits and how to use them in a daily skincare routine, clients leave the spa feeling not only pampered but confident that they’ll be able to maintain beautiful skin until their next facial.”
Tracy Morin is a freelance writer and editor based in Oxford, Mississippi.
Build your spa business with spa marketing and spa management tips • Read about professional spa products • Enter for a chance to win spa skincare, face & facial products, skin cleansers and more • Subscribe to DAYSPA • Subscribe to DAYSPA's eNewsletter