- Spa News
- Spa Articles
- Spa Products
- Win Spa Products!
Spa Wellness: Defensive Diet
Combat UV rays internally with these sun-blocking foods.
In an effort to help our elder population think beyond sunscreen, the American Association for Retired Persons has compiled a list of foods capable of bolstering the skin’s ability to defend itself against sun-related burns, wrinkles and cancer. But the information doesn’t only pertain to older folks. Consider sharing the following list with all of your skincare clients:
• Tomatoes contain the UV-protecting compound lycopene.
• Sweet potatoes are high in beta-carotene to ameliorate sunburn damage.
• Flaxseed boasts omega-3 fatty acids, which attract water to skin cells to “plump” skin.
• Green tea delivers EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate), a substance proven to counteract inflammation.
• Black tea contains quercetin, a compound with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
• Dark leafy greens, such as spinach and kale, are rich in folic acid and antioxidants to boost skin’s natural defenses.
• Pomegranate is an especially potent, antioxidant-packed fruit.
• Almonds provide quercetin, plus vitamin E to ward off burns.
• Beer contains the hormone melatonin, a powerful antioxidant.
• Dark chocolate (70% cacao or greater) improves skin density, hydration and blood flow via its natural antioxidant properties.