- Win Spa Products!
Spa Tip: Treating Dry Skin
Check out these helpful tips to pass on to clients with a dry skin dilemma.
With the cooler weather upon us, chances are good your clients are complaining about their rough, dry skin.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), for some people dry skin can be more than just a nuisance, it can be downright painful. In some cases, dryness can result in itchy, cracked skin that can make day-to-day activities difficult and uncomfortable.
Here are some tips from the AAD on soothing dry skin:
• Keep baths and showers short, and keep water at a warm temperature. Although it's very tempting to take long, hot showers in the winter, that can actually perpetuate dry skin. And, remember to pat--not rub--yourself dry.
• Moisturize after your bath or shower.
• Be cautious of ingredients that contain alcohol and fragrances as they are discouraged for dry skin.
• Wear soft fabrics, such as cotton, that breathe, rather than rougher textures such as wool.
• Apply hand cream often, especially after washing the hands. For an extra dose of moisture, apply petroleum jelly to hands before bedtime.
For more tips, check out the AAD's video "Dry Skin Relief", part of their "Dermatology A to Z" video series.