- Win Spa Products!
Spa Services: Idaho's Great Escape
Spa Ssakwa’q’n at the Coeur d’Alene Casino Resort offers up a super-soothing "star treatment" that carries mass appeal.
Coeur d’Alene Casino Resort
Miles of rustic countryside, groves of snowy pine trees and deer (as well as the occasional moose) roaming free outside my window—Toto, we were not in Los Angeles anymore.
During a recent visit to Spa Ssakwa’q’n in Idaho’s Coeur d’Alene Casino Resort, I quickly learned for myself why the resort and spa have developed a reputation as the “ultimate natural getaway.” Considering the über-rustic backdrop and tribal roots (the property is owned by the Coeur d’Alene Tribe of Native Americans), it comes as no surprise that the spa’s facility and offerings are centered around wellness and nature. Even the snacks and meals served to spa guests are locally sourced: “Much of our food is grown on the property,” says spa director Kelleye Heydon. “I’ll look out my window and see our head chef picking vegetables.”
The spa’s décor also emulates the rustic theme--natural hues of browns and taupes grace the walls and furniture, and rooms are accented with touches of cedar and copper. (No pastel walls or girly lace curtains here!) Even the robes, a deep chocolate brown, signal a departure from your typical spa aesthetic. “When I suggested it, people were a bit skeptical, but our guests really love them,” says Heydon.
Creating a non-threatening, neutral environment has been paramount for the spa, which attracts a good amount of athletes and locals—not too surprising considering the resort houses renowned golfing facility the Circling Raven Golf Club. In fact, 40% of the clientele is male! In turn, the spa’s gender-neutral treatments are designed to address common concerns of both female and male guests. From the Sacred Forest treatment ($105/ 60 min.)--which addresses achy joints and muscles--and the Season’s Men’s Facial ($90/ 60 min.), to the Pre-natal Massage ($85/60 min.) and Circling Raven Golf Pedicure ($65/60 min.), there truly is something for everyone, at every stage of life.
During my stay, I got served the ultimate spa experience: the Palouse Prairie Massage ($95/60 min.), the Season’s Spa Pedicure ($65/60 min.), Ssakwa'q'n Facial ($90/60 min.) and (my favorite) the Wetlands Body Refiner ($105/60 min.). This body treatment is a total crowd-pleaser as it provides some good old-fashioned detox action via a mud wrap, as well as soothing aromatherapy, and a scalp and foot massage using Aromatherapy Associates products that channel energizing scents of pink grapefruit, rosemary, juniper, orange and mandarin. “The service is super gender-neutral,” says Heydon. “Men love the grapefruit scent.”
The Wetlands is also ideal for over-worked or stressed guests who need a little pep in their step. “Clients on a juicing diet or cleanse could really benefit from treatment, as it helps release toxins, and helps tone and firm the body, too,” Heydon explains.
Talk about the lap (or wrap) of luxury! Here’s a breakdown of the fabulous service:
Wetlands Body Treatment
1. Welcome the client and offer her some water before beginning the treatment, to prevent dehydration.
2. Invite her to sit up on the treatment table, covering her legs and front body with the comforter. Using a dry brush, begin brushing her back as well as the back of arms from the elbow up. Apply Revive Body Gel, followed by Revive Oil, then Organic Base Mud to the treated areas. Have her lay down.
3. Dry brush stomach in clockwise motion. Apply the gel and oil in the same clockwise motion, followed by the mud.
4. Uncover right leg and bend it at the knee, approximately 45 degrees. Dry brush leg and calf using upward motions towards heart, then brush inner/outer thigh using the same techniques. Apply gel, oil and organic mud
5. Repeat on left leg
6. Wrap the client in plastic, place a heat pack on core area, then wrap her with sheets, an electric blanket and finally, a down comforter.
7. Allow her to relax for 20 minutes. Provide a scalp and foot massage with Revive Oil during this time.
8. Unwrap client and remove mud with warm towels. Finish treatment with Rose Renew Cream.